Skip to Main Content

Solar PV

Just think…with Solar PV panels from Solmatix, you can generate free electricity for your business, farm or home.  Our Solar PV panels capture light energy from the sun and convert it to a steady supply of electricity.  What’s more, our Solar PV panels don’t require direct sunlight to work.  They’re so efficient that they’ll keep on generating electricity even when it’s cloudy and grey.

The business case for Solar PV

  • Grants - NI Renewable Obligation Certificates (NI RoCs) mean that for 20 years, you will be rewarded 12.6 pence (up to a 50kW) for every unit of electricity (kWhr) your Solar PV panels produce.  Yes, 20 years guaranteed income!
  • Savings - Because you will be producing free electricity from your Solar PV panels, you’ll be buying less from the grid.  This means you’ll see an immediate saving on your bill.
  • Export - Any electricity you don’t consume can be sold to the grid at 5.1 pence per unit (kWhr), with the potential to generate a tidy income.
  • Return on Investment - With a ROI typically 15% - 20%, and a payback period of only 5 to 7 years, Solar PV is one of the best ways you could choose to make your money work for you.

How Solar PV works

Solar PV panels capture light energy from the sun and convert it into DC electricity, the same form of electricity found in a car battery.  This DC electricity then passes through an inverter to produce AC.  The resulting AC supply is used as the primary source of electricity and can be seamlessly supplemented by the grid, if required.

Some description

Under NI Renewable Obligation Certificates (NIRoCs), owners of Solar PV systems are entitled to grant aid of 12.6 pence for every unit of electricity they produce, up to a maximum of 50kW, for a period of 20 years.

So what does this mean for typical customers? Let’s consider two examples:

3 Phase Non-Domestic customer

A business or agricultural customer installs a 12kW, 48-panel system costing £14,000-£15,000 will generate approx. 9600 units of solar electricity per year.  The user will typically consume 75% of the solar energy produced which is seen as a saving on their bill, with the remaining 25% sold as export to grid.

The results are impressive, as the system will:

Attract grant aid of £1210 per year (9600 units X 12.6 pence)
Generate savings of £1008 per year (7200 units X 14 pence)
Create export income of £122 (2400 units X 5.1 pence)

Taken together, this system will generate combined income and savings of £2340 per year, totalling £46,800 over 20 years!

Single Phase Domestic customer

A homeowner installs a 4kW, 16-panel system costing £5,500-£6,500 will generate approx. 3000 units of solar electricity per year. The user will typically consume 60% of the solar energy produced which is seen as a saving on their bill, with the remaining 40% sold as export to grid.

The results are impressive, as the system will:

Attract grant aid of £378 per year (3000 units X 12.6 pence)
Generate savings of £288 per year (1800 units X 16 pence)
Create export income of £61 (1200 units X 5.1 pence)

Taken together, this system will generate combined income and savings of £727 per year, totalling £14,540 over 20 years!

Solar PV panels

Our Solar PV panels are similar to the front of a solar calculator, except they’re much larger and more efficient.

Sunlight is composed of miniscule particles called photons. These radiate from the sun and are absorbed by the materials in our panels to produce direct current (DC) electricity.

Inverter

The panels produce DC current, just like that produced by a car battery.  The DC current flows into a device called an inverter, which converts it to an alternating current (AC). This is the type of current used by the appliances in your home or business.

Some description

Generation Meter

The generation meter counts every AC unit generated by your Solar PV system.  The amount recorded on this meter determines the level of annual grant aid you receive from NI RoCs.

Consumer Unit

The AC current flows from the inverter into the consumer unit or distribution board, also known as the ‘fuse box’. From there it powers your appliances, topped up if necessary by additional electricity from the national grid.  Or if you do not need the electricity, it flows onto the grid as export and you receive payment.

Import/Export meter

This meter not only counts up usage, but also records the amount of electricity your Solar PV system exports to the grid.

Maintenance

Since our Solar PV panels have no moving parts, virtually nothing can go wrong, so they require little or no maintenance.  Like diagnostics in a modern car, your system will keep you informed.

Warranty

Our panels carry a 25 year performance guarantee, so you can rest easy, knowing that your investment is fully covered.  Inverter warranty ranges from 5 to 25 years depending on manufacturer.

View Case Studies

© 2017 Copyright Solmatix Ltd. All rights reserved. / Privacy / web design by the web bureau

  • LinkedIn
  • Google+
  • Youtube